Lied Discovery Children's Museum "Teacher of the Month Nominations"
Common Core State Standards
You may ask, what are our students learning. Here are some details on the Common Core State Standards that are addressed during instruction daily.
Families - Here are some resources to assist you in understanding how to use the tools of school this year.
• This animated three-minute video from the Council of the Great City Schools provides an overview of why the standards were created and how they help ensure all students can measure up with students in other states and countries http://bit.ly/1hZOpbA
• http://www.corestandards.org/ is the official online home of the Common Core State Standards, is a helpful place for parents, educators and policymakers to obtain clear information.
• The U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation put together an [ http://www.businessforcore.org/videos/ ] informative video highlighting the importance of the Common Core and correcting misinformation. This new video provides statements of support from superintendents, teachers, parents, legislators and others.
• 50 Can, an education reform advocacy organization, has created an interactive http://edroadtrip.50can.org/ “Educational Roadtrip,” surveying 6,400 Americans across eight regions on their views on education. According to this analysis, “Most Americans would support the Common Core if they just knew what it was.”
• TheCommonCore.com is an advocacy tool presented by the Higher State Standards Partnership and supported by the Business Roundtable, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the hundreds of individual businesses and local chambers that comprise their memberships. It provides facts and information on the Common Core State Standards. www.thecommoncore.com
Pictures Online for Educational Use (© Free Source)